[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq not answering other LAN computers

Tyler Dunn rtylerdunn at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 06:20:01 BST 2008

Thanks for the response.  I still can't get dnsmasq to respond as desired when resolving a local name from a Windows box.  I would like to map my computers' names to their IP addresses in my dnsmasq server's /etc/hosts file and then be able to access them through the web by typing the plain name in to the web browser instead of typing the IP address.  For example, in /etc/hosts I have

192.168.1.123    gerbil

I would like to type "gerbil" into the address bar of Firefox on my XP machine and access the gerbil web server. The only way that I have been able to work around the current problems is to put the following text in my /etc/hosts file
192.168.1.123 gerbil.com

When I type gerbil.com in my browser address window, the gerbil default web page is accessible.  I would rather not have to always type the .com after each machine name.  Is there a way to configure dnsmasq to work with Windows as described?

Right now I am forcing a ".com" at the end of DNS queries by using the command "search com" in /etc/resolv.conf.  I also have expand-hosts and domain-com in my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file to force a ".com" to the ends of the /etc/hosts entries.

I think this is a Windows XP issue and and not a Firefox issue because I get an error message when trying to ping gerbil from the command line on the XP box.  "Ping request could not find host gerbil.  Please check the name and try again."

Thanks.