[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq-2.43rc3 available.

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 09:15:57 BST 2008

Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Simon,
>
> Du (simon) meintest am 09.07.08:
>
>> 2.43rc3 is available here.
>
>> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/release-candidates/dnsmasq-2.43r
>> c3.tar.gz
>
> Compiling works (but why does it ask for "nawk" - I haven't installed
> "nawk").
>
> When I start the new dnsmasq it works in another way than 2.41.
>
> I append "conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d" to "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" and do all my
> local changes in special files in this subdirectory. It's better to see
> the changes in a small special file than in the original "dnsmasq.conf"
> with its nearly 500 lines.
>
> The files in the subdirectory overwrite the options in "dnsmasq.conf" -
> it's a fine and simple way.
>
> But 2.43rc3 doesn't like duplicate options - and I may not change the
> behaviour of 2.41.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Thanks for the report.

The intention of this was to prohibit configuration with undefined
behaviour. There are some options (eg --server) which can be
meaningfully repeated and some (eg --user) which can't. It's never been
specified what the effect of doing --user twice was, so I wanted to flag
it as an error rather than doing something undefined.

Note that it is possible to give a flag on the command line and in the
config file: (the file always overrides the command line). That
behaviour is documented and has not changed.

I'm sympathetic that this could be changed again to define what
overrides what in config files, but in view of the current security
panic, I'm not planning to delay this release to do it. For people doing
the same thing as Helmut, they will have to work-around: I'm guessing
it's very few.