[Dnsmasq-discuss] Build on ancient gcc

RevRagnarok DNSMasq at RevRagnarok.com
Sat Jul 12 14:20:58 BST 2008

Thank you for all your suggestions. Since I don't plan to use the DHCP
server portion of the code, hard coding a size seemed the simplest solution.

Now it failed in a few new places, and figured I would document them here
for future reference.

dnsmasq.c: In function `main':
dnsmasq.c:252: parse error before `int'
dnsmasq.c:263: `capsize' undeclared (first use in this function)
dnsmasq.c:263: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
dnsmasq.c:263: for each function it appears in.)
dnsmasq.c:267: warning: unreachable code at beginning of switch statement
dnsmasq.c:388: `PR_SET_KEEPCAPS' undeclared (first use in this function)
dnsmasq.c:447: `PR_SET_DUMPABLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [dnsmasq.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/dnsmasq-2.43/src'
make: *** [dnsmasq] Error 2

For some reason, it was just being a pain and I had to swap lines 252 and
253 so that the "capsize" declaration was the first thing within the if
block.

To fix the PR_SET macros, I had to manually include on the cc command line
-I/usr/src/linux-`uname -r`/include for dnsmasq.c - this is likely because
this machine is very screwed up with both RPM and hand-built kernels all
over the place.

I had the similar array size problems in tftp.c on lines 487, 515, 538, but
again I don't use DHCP server so by disabling TFTP in config.h, they were
ignored.

Thanks again for the help, I now have 2.43 running on my ancient machine.

 - RR