[Dnsmasq-discuss] new isp with new setup, how to change dnsmasq to accomodate

Brad Morgan b-morgan at concentric.net
Wed Jul 23 01:37:43 BST 2008

>> /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf:
>> supersede domain-name "morgan.local";
>> supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
>> #OpenDNS
>>
>> I think you can also use "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1"

> This makes sense and I thought of it, the only real problem I had with
> this is that larger commercial isp's (of which this is one) tend to
> assign new DNS servers with changes in ip addresses, (load balancing
> issues, I assume)

> anyway, hardcoding the dnsservers seems like overkill, but the prepend
> option might just work, prepend the one I need first so that its first
> in line, and then the others will take over when mine fails, I'll have
> to experiment and see if it gives the desired effect.

> if the /etc/resolv.conf changes doesn't dnsmasq need to be reloaded to
> rescan the setup files?

> so either way I go I have to have "something" in dhclient-exit-hooks
right?

My example showed what I am doing to use the OpenDNS servers. In the past
I've also used just the "prepend 127.0.0.1" line to get the dnsmasq server
in the firewall's chain of lookups.

I didn't make any other changes (like an exit-hook) and it works just fine
for me. By default, dnsmasq polls /etc/resolv.conf for changes. You can also
send it a SIGHUP to clear the cache and reload /etc/hosts, etc.

Regards,

Brad