[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems with Samba shares and XP clients

Cristiano Paris cristiano.paris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:46:59 BST 2008

Hi,

I recently discovered dnsmasq after years of pain with dhcpd and bind
in my local network at home. Yesterday I was able to setup dhcp+dns in
less than 10 minutes: doing the same with dhcpd+bind would have
required me at least two hours :D

Anyway, I'm here for a problem. After setting up dhcp, my Windows XP
client (my wife's notebook) won't connect to Samba shares on the same
server anymore.

Here's a description of my configuration and what's going on:

1 - dnsmasq runs in the same server as Samba does.
2 - Manually setting up the network in my XP client makes everything work fine.
3 - Doing a restore on the NIC, now configured to use dhcp, will
prompt an alert saying that "NetBT could not be deleted" (or something
like that: I'm translating from Italian). From that time on, XP client
refuses to connect to the Samba share saying that the network is
unreachable. I tried "net use" from command line and it reported a
1231 error.
4 - I tried IP, short name and FQDN name in share location URL:
dnsmasq gets queried by the XP client but the error is the same.
5 - I'm using the following dhcp options in dnsmasq:

dhcp-option=44,192.168.20.1
dhcp-option=45,192.168.20.1
dhcp-option=46,8
dhcp-option=47

Using these options causes 192.168.20.1 to be set as the WINS server
in the client. Consequently, I enabled WINS support in Samba through
the option "wins support = yes". Nothing changed.
6 - In my first tests, I was working without the above options: that
way, NetBIOS over TCP/IP gets disabled and I had to tweak the XP's
registry to re-enable it again. Nevertheless, it didn't work.
7 - As I said, I'm able to go back in the manual configuration set up
and have everything work again.

Any clue?

Cristiano