[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems with Samba shares and XP clients

Cristiano Paris cristiano.paris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 09:29:11 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Cristiano Paris
<cristiano.paris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Jorge Bastos <mysql.jorge at decimal.pt> wrote:
>> Hum, do you have dns proxy = on or off in smb.conf ?
>
> Off.

I've found a (pretty ugly) workaround to the problem. Few websites
mention the fact that NetBIOS over TCP/IP problems are related to this
registry entry:

HKLM\System\Controlset001\Services\NetBT\Parameters\TransportBindName

which should be set to "\Device\". In my XP host this entry is blank.
Setting it with that string and rebooting does the trick, even under
DHCP NIC's operating mode. After rebooting, even if the shares are
working properly and NteBIOS over TCP/IP is active, the registry entry
is blank again.

Thus, basically, I created a script changing that entry to "\Device\"
whenever the system shuts down. Now it works, but it's a dirty trick.
I'd like to know what's going on.

Also, I've found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B313314&x=19&y=9

which seems somewhat related,  but I can't translate it to dnsmasq
settings. Any help is appreciated.

Other websites mention the fact that entries in the

HKLM\System\Controlset001\Services\NetBT\Parameters

are sometimes changed by worms, viruses, spywares and, in some cases,
firewalls. Anyhow, the fact that manually settings the network
parameters makes everything work leads me to the idea that this is the
wrong way to solution.

Thanks.

Cristiano