[Dnsmasq-discuss] multiple domain support - question

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 00:41:30 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>wrote:

> I have support for multiple domains working, but I've come across a
> wrinkle.
>
> Consider the case that two different DHCP clients claim the same name.
> With the existing code, only one can have it and the current behaviour
> is that when a second machine  claims a name, the first one loses it.
>
> Now, consider the possibility that the two machines claiming the same
> name are in different domains. By default, the existing behaviour must
> continue, because the unqualified name is added to the DNS, so that even
> though the two clients could have "name.domain1.com" and
> "name.domain2.com", they are still fighting over just plain "name".
>
> It would be possible to introduce a new mode, which didn't put the
> unqualified name into the DNS, and allowed both hosts to keep their name
> as long as they are in different domains. Would that be useful, or just
> an confusing complication?

Would it be possible to track the domain, while still responding to the
unqualified name (perhaps a CNAME, or perhaps just track internally).  Then
when the name was claimed a second time, the entry would be marked invalid
and no further responses would be sent.

Or, if you choose a mode with no unqualified names, consider allowing
dotless names from /etc/hosts and the config file to still be resolved.