[Dnsmasq-discuss] Request for brain-storm: Rogue dhcp-servers on the lan

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:55:29 BST 2008

I know this is a bit off topic, but maybe someone on the list has some
thoughts on this:

I'm running a router for a group of people connected by lan.  And I
use a dhcp-server (dnsmasq) on the router to configure the clients.

But increasingly often, someone has connected another router to the
lan, usually to use it as a wifi access point.  And since they don't
know what they are doing, they connect their own router's lan-port to
the big lan instead of using the wan-port.  And so we get a wrong
dhcp-server competing with dnsmasq.

Every time this happens, I have to track down the rogue router by
testing each cable of the lan.  Quite time consuming, and until I get
it done, the network is very unstable for the users.

Does anyone have some ideas as how to mitigate this problem?

Rune