[Dnsmasq-discuss] Override DNS servers in DHCP packet

Alex Chekholko chekh at pcbi.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 23 23:02:13 BST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:45:24 -0400
A C <agcme at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does dnsmasq use the DNS servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf over those listed in a DHCP packet?  I was forced to use DHCP for my public connection but I don't want to use the provided DNS servers as they are slower than the ones I had manually configured.

I think typically the DHCP client would write /etc/resolv.conf with the
information it is provided by the DHCP server.  Then dnsmasq looks
there, unless you configure it otherwise.

If you're talking about serving up different DNS servers via dnsmasq's
bult-in DHCP server, then take a look at: dnsmasq --help dhcp

I have a line like this in my dnsmasq.conf:
dhcp-option=6,10.10.70.5,10.10.70.7

Regards,
Alex