[Dnsmasq-discuss] The same address on mulitple interface issue (yet again)...

John Gray gray at agora-net.com
Wed Sep 24 14:31:20 BST 2008

I'd really like to see an option that'll allow static addresses to work
on multiple interfaces without mucking with the machine to fiddle with
their client id.

On a large network, fiddling with machines instead of tweaking the dhcp
server doesn't seem like the way to do.

I realize this sort of violates the protocol.  I was thinking just an
option, that's off by default, that allow the multiple definitions for
the same IP.  If I request comes in for a static, we honor the request,
and probably remove the old leases (I realize the old client won't
necessarily know this) The option should probably have a big warning on it.

ISC allows this.  I can't tell you exactly how they implement it (I
suspect they simply give out two leases).

I work on one network where this behavior is a requirement.

Thanks,
John