[Dnsmasq-discuss] The same address on mulitple interface issue (yet again)...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Sep 25 16:58:45 BST 2008

John Gray wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> That sounds like a good plan, but I've been using the /etc/ethers file
> to define my static addresses.  I'd really like to have support to be
> able to specify multiples in there.
>
> I looked around the code a bit.  And it didn't look like it would be too
> hard to swing that either.

Code-wise, it wouldn't, but the syntax and semantics of /etc/ethers are
not defined by dnsmasq; it's a system file that's potentially used by
other tools and I'm not at liberty to extend the format.

It's very easy to move you host declarations into a dnsmasq-only
configuration file, see dhcp-hostsfile in the dnsmasq man page.