[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: about avoid circular CNAME references.

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 12:20:19 BST 2008

Jackie Xie wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> How do I know about the dnsmasq-1.18 which support "avoid circular CNAME
> references" or not?
> Thanks a lot.

First, dnsmasq 1.18 is _very_ old, you should think about using a later
release, if possible. Current code behaves differently.

As far as I can see, dnsmasq 1.18 will just ignore circular CNAME loops,
they will not be cached. The DNS replies which contain the loop will be
passed back to the original requestor, so dnsmasq won't protect that, if
it causes problems.