[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq only to respond to local queries?

Michal Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Sat Oct 4 16:02:03 BST 2008

Hi, I'm trying to set up something like so:

           ---  Internet ---
          /                 \
         /                   \
        /                     \
    Router1  -----WiFi----  Router2
  (w/dnsmasq)            (proprietary)
  /    |    \                  |     \
host1 host2 host3             host4 host5

I would like dnsmasq to only reply to local queries, so that hosts 4 and
5 could access hosts 1-3 by name and at the same time use its own
Internet connection to access remote hosts.

I know I need to set two nameservers (one local and one remote) on all
the hosts but then how do I set dnsmasq so that it would only reply to
local queries and tell the hosts to ask the remote dns for other
queries?

What will happen if the WiFi connection dies (hosts 4 and 5 are,
unfortunately, M$) - will hosts 4 and 5 be unable to browse the web if
their primary NS won't reply?

Maybe there's another - better - way to achieve what I need?

The basic idea is: all the hosts are on the same subnet (the wifi APs
can only do bridging, Router2 only has one ethernet interface etc.). I
want them to connect to the internet using their respective connections
but also be able to communicate easily over the WiFi connection.

--
Michal Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>