[Dnsmasq-discuss] Reverse DNS

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Oct 4 21:50:40 BST 2008

shacky wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm succesfully using dnsmasq, but I'm having some problems with the
> reverse DNS features.
> Here is the related part of my dnsmasq.conf:
>
> address=/server.my.lan/192.168.1.1
> address=/192.168.1.1/server-x.my.lan
>
> But dnsmasq does not restart:
>
> server:~# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
> Restarting DNS forwarder and DHCP server: dnsmasqdnsmasq: error at
> line 29 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf.
>
> How I can configure the reverse records?
> Could you help me, please?
>
> Thank you very much!
> Bye.

You are using the "address" keyword for something it's not really
intended to do, and setting up reverse DNS this way isn't possible. Much
better to put your local hosts in /etc/hosts or another, hosts-like
file, and tell dnsmasq to read it using "addn-hosts"

So, put

192.168.1.1  server-z.my.lan

in /etc/dnsmasq-hosts

and put

addn-hosts=/etc/dnsmasq-hosts

in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

That way, reverse DNS will happen automatically.