[Dnsmasq-discuss] failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use

Michael Rack dnsmasq.list at michaelrack.de
Mon Oct 13 19:55:10 BST 2008

Hi List,

i have two DHCP-Servers / Forwarders running on one machine. My router
have five interfaces one for LAN, WIRELESS, SERVER, IP-TUNNEL and one
for WAN.

On WAN there is running a dhcp-client to assign an official ip-address
from my ISP. On Wireless and IP-Tunnel runs the DHCP-Forwarder
(dhcp-fwd) wich is connected to only this two interfaces.

Now i like to setup dnsmasq on the last two interfaces (lan and server).
But i can not start dnsmasq without the following error-message: failed
to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use

My configuration-file like this:

--- SNIP ---
# Port Settings
except-interface=lo
interface=lan
interface=server
listen-address=10.10.0.1
listen-address=192.168.178.1
bind-interfaces

# Include another lot of configuration options
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d
--- SNAP ---

Why is DNSMASQ listen on all Interfaces? DHCP-FWD is also listen to only
the defined interfaces (wlan and ip-tunnel).

Thanks in advance,
Michael