[Dnsmasq-discuss] samba and workgroups with dhcp

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 02:15:46 BST 2008

>> local master = yes
>> preferred master = yes
>
> These are related to the way that broadcast is handled, see above.
> The master is a machine that collects the various broadcasted
> information so that a newly booted client has a quick way to get it.
> The machines on the lan vote about who should be the master; local
> master allows Samba to run for master, while preferred master will
> make Samba fight to get chosen.  When you run an NT domain, it is a
> good idea for the domain controller to be master as well.  These
> settings look OK.

And then on top of that there are B-nodes and P-nodes and hybrid nodes
and the node type can be controlled thru dhcp I think but hard to
control via client-side settings.  IIRC.

Arcane magic indeed.

I tend to always use DNS for resolution, even using FQDNs to make sure
Windows can't try to lookup the name via NetBIOS.