[Dnsmasq-discuss] Getting dnsmasq to serve fqdns as the hostname

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 13:58:10 BST 2008

Alex Kiernan wrote:
> I'm trying to use dnsmasq to serve DHCP/DNS for a Solaris network
> install server (jumpstart). It works perfectly and the DNS/DHCP
> integration means that lots of the traditional problems go away (the
> problem is that the Solaris installation procedure won't setup DNS as
> the name service unless you already have DNS for the machine you're
> building in place).
>
> dnsmasq works absolutely perfectly for this, with one minor problem -
> I need to serve an FQDN in the hostname option; if I feed this to
> dnsmasq in a dhcp-host then unless my domain setting matches it
> rejects it, and even then it strips it to the basename. If instead I
> force through an option 12, whilst it serves the FQDN, it doesn't
> update the DNS so the DNS checks fail later in the install.
>
> At the moment I'm working around it by removing the section of code
> from check_dhcp_hosts which enforces the domain/fqdn
> matching/stripping behaviour, but is there another way? Or another way
> which I could implement which is cleaner?

If you explicitly send the FQDN as option 12, set the basename (using
dhcp-host) _and_ set the domain in dnsmasq to the correct value, I think
that will do what you want assuming I've understood correctly that you
want to

1) Send the FQDN as option 12
2) have the FQDN resolve in DNS to the IP address allocated.