[Dnsmasq-discuss] Incorrect broadcast address given

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 14:16:54 BST 2008

OB Lutz wrote:
> I'll get that output tomorrow. When multiple routers are in the
> network, there will be routes to other sets of ips, like
> 182.168.8.1/27 going out the wireless (ath0), but theres never another
> route to 192.168.8.224/27. A default route is only present when
> another router is setup as an internet gateway. This output was from a
> router isolated from the rest of the mesh network (it was on a
> different wireless channel). The problem exists both when the router
> is alone or when its talking to its brethren, so I chose the isolated
> version to make everything as simple as possible.

I'm not very keen on touching the relevant code in dnsmasq to make it
work in this case: getting "always correct" behaviour would be difficult
and my gut says there's a risk of nasty regressions on existing, working
  systems. My understanding is that the workaround of manually
specifying the broadcast address works, is that true? If so, I'd
probably be inclined to add this to the set of cases where the broadcast
address must be given. (That's already the case for using relays, for
instance.)