[Dnsmasq-discuss] Getting dnsmasq to serve fqdns as the hostname

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:00:32 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> Alex Kiernan wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use dnsmasq to serve DHCP/DNS for a Solaris network
>> install server (jumpstart). It works perfectly and the DNS/DHCP
>> integration means that lots of the traditional problems go away (the
>> problem is that the Solaris installation procedure won't setup DNS as
>> the name service unless you already have DNS for the machine you're
>> building in place).
>>
>> dnsmasq works absolutely perfectly for this, with one minor problem -
>> I need to serve an FQDN in the hostname option; if I feed this to
>> dnsmasq in a dhcp-host then unless my domain setting matches it
>> rejects it, and even then it strips it to the basename. If instead I
>> force through an option 12, whilst it serves the FQDN, it doesn't
>> update the DNS so the DNS checks fail later in the install.
>>
>> At the moment I'm working around it by removing the section of code
>> from check_dhcp_hosts which enforces the domain/fqdn
>> matching/stripping behaviour, but is there another way? Or another way
>> which I could implement which is cleaner?
>>

> If you explicitly send the FQDN as option 12, set the basename (using
> dhcp-host) _and_ set the domain in dnsmasq to the correct value, I think
> that will do what you want assuming I've understood correctly that you want
>
> 1) Send the FQDN as option 12
> 2) have the FQDN resolve in DNS to the IP address allocated.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that combo - it does exactly what I
need, but only for one domain, whereas I need it to work for many
domains (as I want this box to act as a jumpstart server across many
different hosts). If domain could be scoped with a tag that'd do what
I need (or even just support multiple maybe?)

--
Alex Kiernan