[Dnsmasq-discuss] Getting dnsmasq to serve fqdns as the hostname

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 15:07:10 BST 2008

Alex Kiernan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
>> Alex Kiernan wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use dnsmasq to serve DHCP/DNS for a Solaris network
>>> install server (jumpstart). It works perfectly and the DNS/DHCP
>>> integration means that lots of the traditional problems go away (the
>>> problem is that the Solaris installation procedure won't setup DNS as
>>> the name service unless you already have DNS for the machine you're
>>> building in place).
>>>
>>> dnsmasq works absolutely perfectly for this, with one minor problem -
>>> I need to serve an FQDN in the hostname option; if I feed this to
>>> dnsmasq in a dhcp-host then unless my domain setting matches it
>>> rejects it, and even then it strips it to the basename. If instead I
>>> force through an option 12, whilst it serves the FQDN, it doesn't
>>> update the DNS so the DNS checks fail later in the install.
>>>
>>> At the moment I'm working around it by removing the section of code
>>> from check_dhcp_hosts which enforces the domain/fqdn
>>> matching/stripping behaviour, but is there another way? Or another way
>>> which I could implement which is cleaner?
>>>
>> If you explicitly send the FQDN as option 12, set the basename (using
>> dhcp-host) _and_ set the domain in dnsmasq to the correct value, I think
>> that will do what you want assuming I've understood correctly that you want
>>
>> 1) Send the FQDN as option 12
>> 2) have the FQDN resolve in DNS to the IP address allocated.
>>

> Yeah, I should have mentioned that combo - it does exactly what I
> need, but only for one domain, whereas I need it to work for many
> domains (as I want this box to act as a jumpstart server across many
> different hosts). If domain could be scoped with a tag that'd do what
> I need (or even just support multiple maybe?)

That (domain scoped with a tag) is a long-standing feature request which
is impossible to do in a backwards compatible way. See this list passim
for the gory details.

HOWEVER, the next best thing (domain based on subnet or IP address
range) is available at the bleeding edge. Try

http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.46test15.tar.gz