[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq ignoring some clients

Chris Marget chris at logsoft.com
Tue Oct 14 22:10:11 BST 2008

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Simon Kelley wrote:

> Just to confirm my diagnosis, could you try
>
> http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.46test14.tar.gz
>
> which skips the server-id check when --dhcp-authoritative is set. I'm
> still trying to determine if this is a good idea, but it would be good
> to confirm that it makes things work for you.

Simon,

Thanks again for the quick responses -- I'm quite embarassed about my
slow test turnaround.

Firstly, the fix seems to make all the difference.  I've included a
capture of the traffic for your perusal.

Second, the bogus server-id doesn't seem to be an artifact of the
virtual system I grabed from jailtime.org, as I'd previously thought.
The Xen hypervisor seems to be setting up the DHCP transaction before
the guest OS boots.  Here are the first three lines from the guest
console:

  Using config file "./centos.5-2.xen3.cfg".
  Started domain centos.5-2
  Bootdata ok (command line is root=/dev/sda1 ro ip=:1.2.3.4::::eth0:dhcp)

Apparently, this is by design -- but I don't get it.  See here:
http://markmail.org/message/wiutmordtlmv54ul

Thanks again.

/chris