[Dnsmasq-discuss] RFC: Split up the default configuration file

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:59:27 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM, RevRagnarok <DNSMasq at revragnarok.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Rune Kock <rune.kock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I find that dnsmasq's configuration file can be somewhat intimidating
>> for newbies.  There are quite a lot of options, but only a few of them
>> are really needed for a typical newbie-setup.
>>
>> What about splitting the current dnsmasq.conf into 5 files:
>
> In that case you may as well have an /etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/ subdirectory with
> what you listed as possible names but other names being possible. That seems
> to be the "new way" of having configuration files so that other packages can
> drop their own configs into it without having to edit global files.
>
> However, I personally only use the DNS masquerade, as it was originally
> written for, so doesn't really matter too much to me. ;)
>
>  Aaron

I think I like the /etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/ approach.

it makes sense that the dhcp vars and tftp vars can/should be split in
different files as a way to keep things straight.

For bacwards compatibility the stock /etc/dnsmasq.conf maybe should
have a "configuration-directory" option and set that to
/etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/

that way old configs still work as people give themselves time to
migrate to the new strategy.