[Dnsmasq-discuss] RFC: Split up the default configuration file

Mariano Absatz el.baby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:39:57 BST 2008

Rance Hall escribió el 22/10/08 11:59:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM, RevRagnarok <DNSMasq at revragnarok.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Rune Kock <rune.kock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I find that dnsmasq's configuration file can be somewhat intimidating
>>> for newbies.  There are quite a lot of options, but only a few of them
>>> are really needed for a typical newbie-setup.
>>>
>>> What about splitting the current dnsmasq.conf into 5 files:
>>>
>> In that case you may as well have an /etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/ subdirectory with
>> what you listed as possible names but other names being possible. That seems
>> to be the "new way" of having configuration files so that other packages can
>> drop their own configs into it without having to edit global files.
>>
>> However, I personally only use the DNS masquerade, as it was originally
>> written for, so doesn't really matter too much to me. ;)
>>
>>  Aaron
>>

> I think I like the /etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/ approach.
>
> it makes sense that the dhcp vars and tftp vars can/should be split in
> different files as a way to keep things straight.
>
> For bacwards compatibility the stock /etc/dnsmasq.conf maybe should
> have a "configuration-directory" option and set that to
> /etc/dnsmasq.conf.d/
>
> that way old configs still work as people give themselves time to
> migrate to the new strategy.

I think it'd be a great idea to split the config file within
/etc/dnsmasq.conf.d ... I did that in my installation... I created a
general configuration file with user, group, log-facility, and the like,
then one file for each service configuration options (dhcp, dns,
tftp)... and then some (but I have a somehow weird setup)...

Other thing that would be great would be to update the comments and
options within the sample config file(s)... I kinda copied info from
"man  dnsmasq" into my files...

--
Mariano Absatz - "El Baby"
el.baby at gmail.com