[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP for captive portal
webwiz at pl.net
Sun Nov 2 03:56:03 GMT 2008
Rainy Sunday etc, thought id take a look at moving my captive portal code to dhcp.
- firewall, captiveportal, dnsmasq all run on the one gateway box
- serving about 30-80 lan clients currently on static ip addresses for historical reasons
- portal only allows registered users to access the internet
- users traffic is accounted using netfilter counters
- give captive portal registered users a quasi fixed ip per mac address for simple ip based firewalling
- give un-registered machines a temporary IP and short lease so that they can register and get a proper ip issued as above.
- less manual user NIC config with dhcp cf. static lan clients
- dnsmasq host list dynamically updated by captive portal
- 192.168.0.x ranges:
1 - 4 servers
5- 169 users
170-199 temp users
So reading the man and the archives a bit ive got, so far:
dhcp-range=192.168.0.170,192.168.0.199,2m #=temp range
dhcp-host=00:1c:c0:6f:f3:xx, 192.168.0.5, 12h
dhcp-host=00:0e:a6:3e:1c:xx, 192.168.0.10, 12h
Does that look ok?
What will happen if a user runs another dhcp server? (probably a consumer wlan access point or similar).
Any way to make this dnsmasq king?
Appreciate any feedback / ideas.
More information about the Dnsmasq-discuss