[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Re: DCHP server not assign IP addresses

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:05:31 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:09, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> * Rune Kock wrote :
>>* Troy Piggins wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Both ports allow UDP:
>>>
>>> $ sudo iptables-save | grep 67
>>> -A udpincoming_packets -p udp -m udp --sport 67:68 --dport 67:68 -j ACCEPT
>>
>> I'm not entirely fluent in iptables syntax, but to me this sounds like
>> "accept packets with source port 67/68 AND dest port 67/68".
>
> I see.  You're interpretation is correct.  I thought the requests
> only came and went on those ports.
>
>> I believe that you need "accept source port 67/68 OR dest port
>> 67/68".
>
> I split the rules up as you suggested.
>
> It still is not assigning addresses.

I still think that the firewall is the most likely problem.  Or is
there some kind of router/wireless between the NAS and your dnsmasq
machine?

Try running without any firewall, if that is possible.

Try posting your complete firewall setup; someone on the list may be
able to spot something.

BTW, as Richard pointed out, my suggestion of accepting source or
destination port 67/68, is probably opening more than necessary, thus
creating a small hole in the security of the firewall.  I guess that
the correct thing is to allow destination port 67&68, and not fiddle
with source ports at all.