[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: DCHP server not assign IP addresses

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 12:51:57 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 13:05, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> * Rune Kock wrote :
> <snip />
>> I still think that the firewall is the most likely problem.  Or is
>> there some kind of router/wireless between the NAS and your dnsmasq
>> machine?
>
> To be honest, it can't be the firewall anyway.  All traffic from
> the internal network is allowed by default.  The only
> blocking/dropping rules are on the external interface.

As I said, iptables is not a strong point for me.  But when I read
your setup, it seems that you do not actually accept ethernet
broadcasts; you only accept 192.168.xxx.xxx packets, and obviously,
the NAS will not know to use that address range the first time.

Maybe something like:
-m addrtype --dst-type BROADCAST -j ACCEPT