[Dnsmasq-discuss] maximum number of "address" lines

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 16:52:02 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> Philippe Faure wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I run a script that takes URLs that display adds, and point them to an
>> un-used Local IP address. for example:
>> address="/123banners.com/192.168.0.35"
>>
>> All of these addresses are in one file which DNSMASQ reads at startup.  I
>> have noticed that the number of addresses in this file is now really large.
>> About 17000 redirections.
>>
>> I have tried to start dnsmasq and it comes back with an error on line
>> 13910. There was nothing different about line 13910, and 13909, except for
>> the different url.
>>
>> I was wondering if DNSMASQ had an internal limit of the number of
>> redirects, or the size of input files, or anything else that would cause a
>> problem?
>
> There's no internal limit. Note that performance will be much worse than
> with lines in /etc/hosts, so if you don't need the implied wildcard in
> address=/domain/ lines and you have lots and lots of them, /etc/hosts is a
> better place to put them.
>

>> Here is what I found in syslog:
>> Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: error at line 13910 of
>> /etc/hosts_to_block
>> Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: FAILED to start up
>
> The only syntax problem that's not blindingly obvious would be an illegal
> character in the the domain: the legal ones are
> A-Z a-z 0-9 - / _

I hope that's the dot "." for a legal separator and not the slash "/".

Also, how does dnsmasq handle end-of-line?  Some editors might not
show if the file changed between unix NL and dos CR+LF halfway
through, but dnsmasq would then have to process the extra \r (^M)
character.  Not likely if the file is autogenerated, but if the script
or the underlying script engine was upgraded at some point it would be
a possibility.