[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple IP ranges but different Networks.

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:58:09 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I an trying out a scenario in which dnsmasq should allocate IPs from two
> ranges.
> I know this works if the two different ranges are on the same network (same
> subnet mask). All I had to do was add the "dhcp-range" line with the new
> range and as soon as the IPs from the first range were exhausted, dnsmasq
> started allocating addresses from the second range.
>
> Is it possible to do the same, but on different networks (different subnet
> masks).
> Is this possible without any code change ?

Yes, if I understand your requirements right.

AFAIK, any dhcp range which, after applying subnet masks, matches any
configured address on the interface where the dhcp request arrived,
will be used.  This is after consideration of any "net:..." tag
matching being used to restrict distribution of those addresses.