[Dnsmasq-discuss] linux, dnsmasq, and HD HomeRun

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Tue Dec 23 23:36:38 GMT 2008

I'm trying to configure dnsmasq to give an HD HomeRun (HDHR) its IP
address, I'd appreciate some assistance.

HD HomeRun is a little box that serves as a tuner for digital TV OTA
signals, and puts them on an ethernet connection. The unit has a MAC
address, the one in the dhcp-host config below. When the unit powers
up, it makes a DHCP request, which is what I'm attempting to use
dnsmasq to satisfy.

The HDHR connected to the ethernet port, eth0. There's a wireless
router as well.

/etc/hosts
192.168.10.5 hdhr.mtranch.com hdhr

/etc/dnsmasq.conf
dhcp-host=00:18:DD:01:4A:E7,192.168.10.5,hdhr,infinite

NetworkManager is used to connect to the local network via the wireless
connect. It's at 192.168.10.1

As far as I can tell, there are no complaints from dnsmasq, but no
lease is established.

I expect I'm making some really dumb newbie mistake :-)