[Dnsmasq-discuss] linux, dnsmasq, and HD HomeRun

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Dec 24 23:18:38 GMT 2008

On 12/23/2008 04:01:21 PM, Rune Kock wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 00:36, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to configure dnsmasq to give an HD HomeRun (HDHR) its IP
> > address, I'd appreciate some assistance.
> >
> > HD HomeRun is a little box that serves as a tuner for digital TV
> OTA
> > signals, and puts them on an ethernet connection. The unit has a
> MAC
> > address, the one in the dhcp-host config below. When the unit
> powers
> > up, it makes a DHCP request, which is what I'm attempting to use
> > dnsmasq to satisfy.
> >
> > The HDHR connected to the ethernet port, eth0. There's a wireless
> > router as well.
> >
> > /etc/hosts
> > 192.168.10.5 hdhr.mtranch.com hdhr
> >
> > /etc/dnsmasq.conf
> > dhcp-host=00:18:DD:01:4A:E7,192.168.10.5,hdhr,infinite
> >
> > NetworkManager is used to connect to the local network via the
> wireless
> > connect. It's at 192.168.10.1
> >
> > As far as I can tell, there are no complaints from dnsmasq, but no
> > lease is established.
> >
> > I expect I'm making some really dumb newbie mistake :-)
>

> Please post ifconfig and your entire dnsmasq.conf.
>
> If you are trying to set up an ethernet bridge between eth0 and
> wireless, then that takes some extra doing.  Maybe
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bridge will help you?

I'm not trying to setup a bridge, so far as I know :-)

Requested data is attached.  The config file entries tagged with
"#GCL" are the ones I've fiddled with.

Other info:

The HDHR works when I attach it to the wireless router rather than to
the system's ethernet port. Unfortunately, that's not the configuration
I'm hoping for. It does prove that the HDHR works as advertised.

When I plug in the HDHR's ethernet cable, this is what dmesg says, so
presumably the port is working.

tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.

FWIW, it seems that dnsmasq has no effect, so presumably I'm not
running it correctly. ps shows it as /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -s localdomain