[Dnsmasq-discuss] Custom DNS Order

Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert redbully at cc.hs-owl.de
Mon Jan 5 21:39:22 GMT 2009

Xavier Kerestesy wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea on how I can accomplish this?

Hmmm, it is still a little confusing what you are trying to achive, but i guess
you want dnsmasq to query different DNS-Server based on the client MAC-Address.
This is AFAIK not possible.

But there are "workarounds"
1) client side lookup
If you categorize your clients into net-tags ("Guest", "known", etc.) you can
send every tag a different set of DNS-Servers by DHCP. This way you loose the
cacheing ability of dnsmasq, but basically get what you want.
2) multi-dnsmasq
You set up several dnsmasq. You can do this on one mashine by giving one
interface several IPs and bind every dnsmasq instance to one IP. Only one dnmasq
instance does dhcp, it points your clients again by net-tag to the other
dnsmasq-IPs with DHCP, the other dnsmasq instances only do DNS-caching.

> Thank you,

HTH
greetings
	Jan

> Xavier
>

> Xavier Kerestesy wrote:
>> So by default everyone points to the dnsmasq for all dns queries.
>> Then by default, dnsmasq points to opendns1, opendns2, ISPDNS1.  We
>> would like to add an option to use ISPDNS1, opendns2, opendns1 based
>> on an IP or via MAC address for authorized users.  Another option
>> might be, to check the local records, then fail and not use the other
>> DNS servers.  This would force the PC to use the next one which could
>> be configured to ISPDNS1.
>>
>> Hopefully, this isn't too confusing.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> Xavier

[snip]

--
John encountered the following Zen-like line in his generated XML:
	<>There is no phenotype</>