[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to get name of DHCP'ed system?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Jan 23 16:29:37 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:12:30AM -0600, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have just moved fully to using dnsmasq on my xubuntu 8.10 system,
> > it's made things much simpler than they were.  I have removed all my
> > manually added entries for static IP hosts on the LAN from /etc/hosts
> > and I've "un static IP'ed" them - dnsmasq does it all for me.
> >
> > However I have one issue, I have a couple of things which are not
> > computers on the LAN, there's an HP printer and a Siemens DECT/VOIP
> > box.  I have set them to use DHCP to get their settings but I don't
> > know how to find what their names are.
> >
> > It's easy for a computer on the network, I have set the name when
> > installing the OS so I know what the name is.  But I don't know how to
> > find the name of a box whose name I'm not able to set myself.
> >
> > How can I find DNS names of systems which dnsmasq knows about?
>
> The name is one (the rightmost IIRC) of the columns in your dhcp.leases file.

Where is dhcp.leases?  I've looked in the obvious places and can't see
it, a quick Google suggests it should be /var/dhcp.leases but I
haven't got that.

> Or hit the network configuration printout from the printer menu.

That's sort of OK for the printer but little help for the DECT/VOIP
box which has no display or local interface.

Does the name get reported in /var/log/syslog when the device gets its
IP etc.?  Aaaahhh, yes it does, I can see the DECT/VOIP box name there.

It does seem that there's a need for a simple utility to get these
names though.

--
Chris Green