[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to get name of DHCP'ed system?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Jan 23 17:27:30 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:18:48PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 16:29 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > Where is dhcp.leases?  I've looked in the obvious places and can't see
> > it, a quick Google suggests it should be /var/dhcp.leases but I
> > haven't got that.
>
> The file is actually called "dnsmasq.leases" (at least on the systems I
> have) and it's in /var/lib/misc.

Yes, thenk you, just exactly what I was after.  :-)

> > It does seem that there's a need for a simple utility to get these
> > names though.
>
> You can write a little script to query the dnsmasq.leases file :-)

Most definitely, though just knowing where the file is and what it's
called is enough really.....

    more /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases

does all I need.

I need to add the above information to my little database of "really
useful notes".

Thanks all.

--
Chris Green