[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help me configure dnsmasq for this tricky situation

Ed Blackman ed at edgewood.to
Thu Jan 29 05:35:12 GMT 2009

I normally want dnsmasq to consult my ISP's DNS (ISPDNS).  That's easy.
But I occasionally bring up a VPN tunnel, which supplies additional
nameservers (VPNDNS) for my company's internal network.

What I'd like to do is configure dnsmasq to serve the addresses of hosts
on my company's internal network via VPNDNS, but I do NOT want to
consult my company's DNS for all of my queries while the VPN is up.

If there were an all-servers-ignore-nxdomain option (send request to all
servers, but ignore NXDOMAIN unless they all return NXDOMAIN), I could
use strict-order and put VPNDNS after ISPDNS, and that would work:
ISPDNS would return NXDOMAIN to a VPN host, so dnsmasq would ask VPNDNS,
but public hosts would be correctly returned by ISPDNS without asking
VPNDNS.

If the VPN network had fixed DNS servers, I could use a server line to
point to those IPs for addresses in vpn.com, but it doesn't.

Is there a way to set up dnsmasq to accomplish what I want?  I currently
use resolvconf to inform dnsmasq aware of the changes as the VPN goes up
and down, but would consider other alternatives.

Ed