[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMASQ and configuring Win XP boxes to use a Proxy server

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Feb 3 14:26:00 GMT 2009

Hallo, Simon,

Du meintest am 24.10.08 zum Thema Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMASQ and configuring Win XP boxes to use a	Proxy server:

>> I was wondering is someone has managed to get Windows XP boxes setup
>> so that they would get proxy details from DNSMASQ? Any details would
>> be appreciated.
>>
>> If someone has a suggestion on a better/easier way, I would be
>> willing to entertain the idea.

> In /etc/dnsmasq.conf:

> dhcp-option=252,"http://central/wpad.dat"

> and then in <www-root>/wpad.dat:

> function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
> {
>   if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
>       isInNet(host, "192.168.0.0", "255.255.252.0"))
>     return "DIRECT";
>   else
>     return "PROXY central:3128";
> }

> My http server and proxy is called "central".

I've now tried it - doesn't work. Sorry.

Configuration:
PXE boot (RIPlinux),
the file (your name: "wpad.dat") exists,
if I choose the firefox option

  Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Network/Settings/Automatic proxy ...

then it works as desired.

And the DHCP part of dnsmasq works well too.

But without the special firefox entry the client doesn't see the proxy
options - how can I test if (and/or how) the dhcp-option 252 does work?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut