[Dnsmasq-discuss] Patch to change dnsmasq logentries

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Feb 27 17:18:35 GMT 2009

Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 27 February 2009 15:44:
>  >I'm happy with the general principle, but the method you have used has
>  >the effect of changing LOTS of literal strings in the code. That makes
>  >large amounts of the translations out of date, when the messages have
>  >not really changed at all.
>  >
>  >As an alternative, how about using some of the log-facility bits in the
>  >first argument of my_syslog, and appending the extra text in the
>  >my_syslog code.
>  >
>  >
>  >#define MS_TFTP LOG_LOCAL0
>  >#define MS_DHCP LOG_LOCAL1
>  >
>  >my_syslog(MS_DHCP | LOG_WARNING, _("Ignoring domain %s for DHCP host
>  >name %s"), config_domain, hostname);
>  >
>  >in my_syslog()
>  >
>  >if (level | MS_DHCP)
>  >	{ extratext = "DHCP";
>  >           level &= ~MS_DHCP;
>  >	}
>  >
>  >etc..
>
> OTOH, changing the strings will make the logs more concise...
Only a few, and it adds lots of copies of the string "DHCP:" to the
binary. The ones which are obviously more concise could  be changed.

> It's harder to do but it's only once...
It's very hard to get translations done and kept up to date.....

>  >Also, I suspect that there are quite a few people doing pattern-matching
>  >on the log strings, maybe it would be less likely to break that if the
>  >sub-function was added to the ident:
>  >
>  >Feb 27 07:38:41 fw dnsmasq-dhcp[29780]: DHCPREQUEST(lan-1) 192.168.10.44
>  >00:3F:56:20:11:f1
>

> This will break those that select by the program name, for example in
> syslog-ng. Changing anything in the log will likely break someone
> somewhere. Olaf's proposal might be less intrusive in this respect.

Ah! That makes it easy for Olaf to achieve his original aim, assuming he
uses sylog-ng. This change is less obviously right, the extra-bits in
the syslog argument method can almost as easily be used to append to the
actual message. That's pretty non-negotiable, but I'm happy to append or
change the id, as people think best.