[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to make dnsmasq to read resolv file updated by PPPoE/DHCP client?

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sat Feb 28 11:54:29 GMT 2009

nanda wrote:
> I need to make the dnsmasq to read config resolv files updated by
>
> the PPPoE and DHCP client. It looks like PPPoE and DHCP client update a
> single

pppd writes the file  /etc/ppp/resolv.conf when the option usepeerdns is
set. You let dnsmasq use this file with the option

	resolv-file=/etc/ppp/resolv.conf

/etc/resolv.conf points to the host where dnsmasq is running. If pppd
also replaces /etc/resolv.conf you could check the ip-up-scripts if
there is one that copies /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.

Also you can specify in /etc/resolv.conf which domains should be
searched if you enter just a host name without a domain:

	search mydomain mycompanydomain.de

In dnsmasq you can forward all mycompanydomain.de related dns-queries to
the mycompanydomain.de's DNS (replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with its
IP-address)
	server=/mycompanydomain.de/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

But I do not know how to insert an dynamically DNS-IP-address that has
been delivered by the mycompanydomain.de's DHCP-server. (Is this possible?)

Bye