[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request: make dnsmasq able to work as a proxydhcp

Guilherme Moro guilherme.moro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:41:26 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I have made a proxyDHCP server to my company, and I think  I can help to
implement this.

Unfortunately I dont have the permission to share my code ( that is written
in python ) but I think that can be pretty easy to make one based on the
dnsmasq code.

The spec is indeed a bit unclear. but after some packet sniffing of other
(closed source )ProxyDHCP server I have figured out what happens.
Let me try to explain.

There are two scenarios:
- the proxyDHCP server can run on the same machine that the DHCP server are
running
- the proxyDHCP can stay in different machine that the DHCP server

for the first scenario we have the Proxy DHCP listening just in the 4011
port, but I need some kind of control of DHCP server, because the server
must respond "PXEClient" in the class identifier, so, when the client see
the PXEClient identifier, but no boot information, it request (DHCPREQUEST)
this information in the 4011 port.

the second scenario, we have the proxyDHCP running alone in other machine of
the network. In this scenario we make the server runs in the 67 and 4011
ports . It will receive the DISCOVER in the 67 port, and reply with a OFFER
with the PXEClient class-identifier, and no ip address ( 0.0.0.0 ), the
client will just store the server IP address, it will continue the normal
DHCP process to get an IP address from the DHCP server, and then, the client
will make a DHCPREQUEST in the stored IP, port 4011, to get the boot
information.

If its still not so clear, its just ask for more clarifications, I'll be
happy to help. =)
and let me know how to help you to code, if you want.

About the use of this kind of stuff, I see more and more people using this
kind of router/firewall/gateway hardware to setup remotely managed networks
( see SonicWall for some example of hardware -
http://www.sonicwall.com/us/), and a lot of people dont even know
about proxyDHCP, and how it works, and
like was said, theres no open source server available (yet!) so people
prefer to use other kind of setup to achieve the same functionality.
So this kind of support to boot will be a good thing, for a lot of people,
more than we can imagine right now

Regards,

Guilherme Moro