[Dnsmasq-discuss] Strange behavior when making the nameserver machine use dnsmasq

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:13:13 GMT 2009

> No, but it provides me with a perfect opportunity for a public service
> announcement, since this information needs to go to a wider audience.

IMHO, the best place for such information is here:
http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
Much wider audience.

I think the logging has contributed to the confusion as well.  First, use of
strongly discouraged options ought to generate a warning at startup.  Next,
in a configuration with multiple DNS servers, knowing which one responded
could be pretty important but I don't see that information in the log above
(just a supposition that since the response came after the third request
that it came from the third server).  At least I'm not convinced that an
early nameserver didn't simply spend a full second doing disk I/O to check
its cache, contacting upstream nameservers, bringing up a vpn connection to
the upstream nameserver, etc.

Just my 2cents.