[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request: make dnsmasq able to work as a proxydhcp

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 10:29:35 BST 2009

Guilherme Moro wrote:

> the second scenario, we have the proxyDHCP running alone in other
> machine of the network. In this scenario we make the server runs in the
> 67 and 4011 ports . It will receive the DISCOVER in the 67 port, and
> reply with a OFFER with the PXEClient class-identifier, and no ip
> address ( 0.0.0.0 ), the client will just store the server IP address,
> it will continue the normal DHCP process to get an IP address from the
> DHCP server, and then, the client will make a DHCPREQUEST in the stored
> IP, port 4011, to get the boot information.
>
> If its still not so clear, its just ask for more clarifications, I'll be
> happy to help. =)

OK, you asked!

BTW, after a certain amount of grief, I have non-ProxyDHCP PXE working.
I can make a PXE Client put up a menu, and provide Boot service so that
it can map from a menu entry to a filename.

It seems that PXE is a crawling horror. Badly designed, worse
implemented, and worst of all documented. Rant over.

For ProxyDHCP, could you supply more information about the DHCPACK reply
from proxyDHCP server. What port does it go to, what are the values in
ciaddr, and yiaddr, is there a server identifier option? It's not
obvious from the documentation, and I'm sick of answering such questions
by experimentation and then have to throw away code because my
assumptions were wrong :-(