[Dnsmasq-discuss] Bad Host Request error when using dnsmaq to resolve hostnames on a browser

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:54:37 BST 2009

Rune Kock wrote:
> I think that it's Thorin that decides to send a "bad host request".
> My guess is that Thorin looks at the domain name passed, and doesn't
> recognize itself.

Good point. That explanation might fit the symptoms better.

You can test that theory by running

telnet host 80

from either Windows or Linux, and then entering (or pasting)
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: host

followed by a blank line. Replace "host" in both cases with your target
internal host (fully qualified).

If the telnet connection succeeds, you'll get back either the headers
for the default page of the site, or an error message, which might
contain the "Bad Host Request" you're seeing.

Maybe your server config uses the unqualified host name while the
browser is sending the fully qualified name or vice versa.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA