[Dnsmasq-discuss] NXDOMAIN problems with open VPN

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 01:26:54 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:35, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
>  this has happened to me with three separate sites so I really need to fix
> something.  When I connect to a remote site with open VPN, it rewrites
> resolv.conf so that it includes a remote DNS server first and then the local
> name server.  When I query for a remote name, everything works fine.  But when I
> query for a local name, I get NXDOMAIN.  as I see it, my solutions are fairly
> limited.

What I've done is make dnsmasq the public DNS server for
localnet.mydomain.com.  So that everyone on the internet can see that
mycomputer.localnet.mydomain.com has ip 192.168.1.44.

Then the remote site can have computer names like
thatcomputer.remote.mydomain.com.

I'm not really confident that my approach here is without problems.
E.g. it may be considered a tiny security risk to publish your local
info publicly.  Take it or leave it...

Rune.