[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cache Size

Terry Stone terry at beach-works.com
Mon May 18 18:38:35 BST 2009

I am using DNSMASQ on a server that also runs Trixbox Asterisk IP PBX.
Asterisk has an unfortunate trait that if SIP trunks that register with a
VOIP provider cannot obtain DNS resolution all SIP extensions stop working
for internal phone calls. I installed DNSMASQ in an attempt to stop this
from happening, the theory being that DNSMASQ would resolve the address from
its cache. This worked fine until I had a long Internet outage when after
about 15 minutes things stopped working. My guess is that DNSMASQ flushed
the cache and needed to go to another server for updated information. Can
anyone tell me how long DNSMASQ holds information in the cache and if it is
possible to lengthen that time. Cache size is not an issue as DNSMASQ is
only used to resolve the SIP trunk addresses therefore the cache is very
small.