[Dnsmasq-discuss] Configuring dnsmasq for two interfaces

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:10:32 BST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:16, Konrad <dnsmasq at habdich.net> wrote:
> this is an extract of my script that configures network interfaces:
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> ifconfig eth0 up
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.1
> iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
> iwconfig wlan0 channel 4
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "lan"
> ifconfig wlan0 up
> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.100.2

> My plan is that when a computer is connected to the network (wlan0 or
> eth0) dhcp provides an ip (192.168.100.100 to 192.168.100.199) so that
> the computer can communicate with any other on the network (regardless
> if they are connected wireless or not).

To do that, you'll need to configure eth0 and wlan0 as an ethernet
bridge, and then assign the IP-address to the bridge rather than to
each interface.  (And yes, I have done that succesfully with Debian).

The reference description of bridging is
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bridge

If you look for more of an intro, I would suggest
http://shorewall.net/4.4/bridge-Shorewall-perl.html -- it's part of
the Shorewall documentation, but contains a lot about bridging in
general as well.

I don't think that dnsmasq has anything to do with your problems.

Rune