[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: Need help accessing my modem through my router

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:25:40 BST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rune Kock <rune.kock at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:25
Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Need help accessing my modem through my router
To: jack seth <bird_112 at hotmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:04, jack seth<bird_112 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, from my notebook I can only ping 'launchmodem.com',
> and 'www.launchmodem.com' but NOT 'launchmodem' (host not found).

I think that the Windows ping command does not always use DNS to find
the host.  Sometimes it uses netbios methods, which usually means
trying a broadcast and see whether anything responds.  Maybe pinging
launchmodem. with a final dot will change it?  Or you could try
nslookup, though that has its own set of problems.  Best would be to
test with a Linux-system instead.

> Another
> oddity, I can only reach the modem in my browser with 'launchmodem.com' not
> with 'www.launchmodem.com' even though I can ping 'www.launchmodem.com'.

Sounds to me like the modem is rejecting that domain when it gets the
http request.

> Can anyone advise me on what is going on here and how to troubleshoot/fix?

If in doubt, run wireshark.

--
 (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(='.'=) into your signature to help him gain