[Dnsmasq-discuss] CACHE DNS not working for MX type request

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jul 3 09:44:33 BST 2009

Stun Box wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been looking on the internet but can't find the answer.
> Why my dnsmaq configuration does not cache MX DNS requests ? I can't
> find the good option that will fix that...
>
> Thanks in advance,

The reason is half historical and half design. Very very early versions
of dnsmasq only handled A records and PTR records. The cache code was
therefore written as a store if IP addresses and names, rather than a
store of DNS records. The forwarding part of dnsmasq then got the
ability to handle arbitrary records, but the cache was never changed,
since 1) Almost everyone really only cares about caching A records (and
AAAA records, if they're using IPv6) 2) The cache code is much more
efficient (especially memory efficient) than a more general cache would
be. Since dnsmasq runs on small hardware, that;s important.

So that anwser to your question is that there's no option, and it would
take a complete rewrite to provide one.

HTH