[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:56:53 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Helmut Hullen<Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, RevRagnarok,
>
> Du meintest am 05.07.09 zum Thema Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files:
>
>>> Could dnsmasq exclude *.new files from reading? Some other programs
>>> do so.
>
>> By extension, it should probably just ignore everything not *.conf,
>> since other package managers use other methods, e.g. .rpmnew and
>> .rpmold.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
> Please keep the traffic in the mailing list!
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

I think this is a great idea but I don't think it belongs in dnsmasq
proper.  I think it makes the code base bigger for no real feature
gain.  This is something that could be handled  in an init script
stanza prior to actually launching dnsmasq.

set a variable for the main config file
parse it looking for config_dir
if found, check contents for updated scripts (test will be different
for each distro I suspect)
mv the updated files to config_dir.update

start dnsmasq the normal way

If you did this in the init script then it would be much more flexible
for per distro variations.

Personally, I've never seen a distro actually populate the config_dir
usually its commented out of the  main config file

Its ultimately up to Simon, but I've seen other comments from him that
indicate code size is important for him as he knows that dnsmasq is
used in embedded devices.  I don't see embedded devices benefiting
from this change.

Just my $0.02

Rance