[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:46:53 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Simon Kelley<simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

> I'd be in a stronger position to refuse to do this if the code didn't
> already weed out filenames which look like .file and file~ and #file#.
> I'm an emacs user and those last two are emacs droppings. I guess the
> problem is knowing _which_ files should be ignored ( how many
> conventions are there?) and not ignoring files which someone, somewhere,
> thinks are perfectly OK and should be used.

Who knows how many conventions there are, and if you could list them
all, that doesnt mean someone isnt free to come up with another one.

Which is why I dont think this actually belongs in dnsmasq proper.
And as far as the backup filename syntax goes that up to the editor,
some editors let you turn off auto backups, and others let you
configure the syntax you want.

Trying to keep up with all possible choices here is a loosing battle.
I'd prefer you spend your time on more fruitful pursuits.