[Dnsmasq-discuss] ethers should have precedence over client dhcp request

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Jul 5 20:45:40 BST 2009

Felix Schwarz wrote:
> I have the situation that I changed the ip address in /etc/ethers. However
> when the client sends a DHCPREQUEST with its old address (because the lease is
> still valid) dnsmasq sends a DHCPACK and renews the lease. Therefore the
> client could use the ip indefinitely. Is that correct or did I misinterpreted
> my logs?
>
> What I would like to see is that /etc/ethers has precedence over the lease
> file. If a new DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPREQUEST comes in, dnsmasq should check the
> ethers and offer only the ip address which is written there.

That's the designed behavior: dnsmasq should send a DHCPNAK when a
client has a defined IP address and the client renews a lease for a
different address. The DHCPNAK will force the client to go through the
whole DISCOVER/REQUEST cycle.

I suspect that your problems with duplicate IP addresses in /etc/ethers
may have confused this, but if you have a clear case where it's not
working, please let me have details and I'll check it out as a possble bug.