[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon Jul 6 07:17:00 BST 2009

Hallo, richardvoigt at gmail.com,

Du meintest am 05.07.09:

>> What about just leaving it as it's now? :-)

> How about a compromise -- not a full wildcard syntax, but a
> user-controlled literal suffix match?  e.g.

> conf-dir-suffix=.conf

And then many old installations which have files with no extensions get
problems ...

Perhaps something like

        either no extension
        or
        extension = .conf

may solve the most problems.

> Or you could let other programs do the heavy lifting and have a
> just-in-time config command whose output is processed.  Dangerous
> because it has to be run before forking as nobody, but very powerful:

> jit-config=/bin/sh -c "cat /etc/conf.d/dnsmasq/*.conf"

My distribution (slackware) has no "/etc/conf.d" directory - that's the
second problem. Each user (sysadm) can define his (or her) own "conf-
dir".

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut